Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Building Blocks of Life

Hello my comrades, my sincerest apologizes for the absence. I'm thinking of making an entry detailing my disappearance, but meh. Just know that this is how my brain works, jumping from one creative project to the next. Flighty? Perhaps, but without the promise of monetary or academic reward, I don't like being chained down by my own work.

So anyway, I was motivated to start a new post after reading this on Kotaku... (yes yes, two entries in a row where I've linked to the same site, I'll keep that to a minimum from now on)

How legit is this? Even if this fails to live up to the quality that Euclideon is promising, how can you not have immense respect for the resemblance that Point Cloud Data has to actual organic life in the real world? It's so breathtaking... the possibilities are absolutely awe inspiring!

What does it say about technology when it begins to render reality in the same way as the universe? This is way bigger than video games. Spiritual comes close to describing it, but that's not quite accurate.

Perhaps I'm being histrionic or abstract, but these implications are just far too fascinating. But, as for the actual uses, I suppose time will tell.

For some interesting perspective, you might find this interesting as well...

2 comments:

  1. Will Right looks like Anton Chigurh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if matter behaves like a program, then we can assume the programmer (if any) to be the some sort of "higher dimensional being/entity". Maybe one must then ask, what do programmers usually write programs for? They do it for alot of reasons, but getting a machine to perform a certain function is the idea behind it. During programming, if you were to look at a little section of code, it can seem confusing and you may have know idea what this program will do until you see the whole entire code. As finite beings, limited by our perception, we may simply be unable to see and understand the whole picture. However, we may be able to see more of the picture of reality through altered mental states: trances, dreams, and certain entheogenic states. I think that if this is the case, the programmer goal was to create "mentality", by allowing matter to arrange itself in such a way. Once the program is finished running, our universe will end. Scientists have said (dont quote me) that the universe will turn into an empty void and then the next "big bang" may emerge (restarting the code). We have seen temporal physical objects, including lifeforms to be disposable and seemingly unimportant in the big scheme of things. Scientists have also proven that the universe has a non-local sector via Bell's theorem, some sort of interconnectedness of all things that seemingly transcends physical matter. What the program may be after is to generate a type of incorporeal existence, mentality without a body. I have to ask myself why a physical system such as the human brain would fine tune itself toward the quality of mentality it has given humans, only to perish soon after, unless it somehow persists in some "nonlocal" way, or is just some cosmic joke. Life, for the program, was a way of getting matter's feet wet to wade out into the "deep ocean of mind" after it perishes. Perhaps the end result is the collective memory of every living thing, the "divine imagination" free to do what matter has always stopped it from doing. It must know restraint for it to be free from it. I dont really know, and may never know. Im still entirely open to the possibility that the universe is utterly meaningless, we rot in the ground after death, and every action was equal to the other. But in my opinion this just doesn't make sense. I think given the amount of info physics has unveiled about the nature of sub-atomic particles, one must really question the notion that "all you see here is all there is". I also think the very fact that humans have spiritual impulses and religion (even though it has been bastardized) is pointing to the direction that there may be something out there that is incomprehensible. Wouldn't just pin it on god almighty and heaven after death, I think its something much more alien and bizarre. And I think a way to access it is by altering perception through meditation, trance, silent darkness, and pharmacological agents. I think this allows the physical system a more expansive perception of reality, a different configuration of nature. Woo goodness, ive rambled a good bit, I need some water.

    ReplyDelete