Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Deepest Sympathies

I just want to begin by expressing my most deepest and sincere sympathies to the victims of the Oslo, Norway terrorist attacks. The acts were despicable and tragic, but I feel completely unqualified to make comments on them.

As I type this, I consider my reasons for doing so... this Kotaku article more or less sums it up, so please give it a read.

Now I ponder why I would even bother publicly stating my own personal feelings on this matter, clearly it is because of the "gamer angle". And well honestly, it feels on the verge of being crass.

What's important here is that citizens were murdered... and not just citizens, but children. All in the name of ideology and in aggressive "defense" of said ideals.

That said, as of the present, I have little to say regarding gamers and the attacks. In my best attempts to be respectful as possible, I don't choose to invoke the deaths of one hundred innocent humans to make a point about anything at this time.

Perhaps, in short time, there will be a day where it feels more appropriate to make a probing analytical comment, but it is not now... but I speak only for myself. Events like this can help to put things into perspective, and there is a lot at the moment to consider.

But, I encourage all who are willing to use this as a catalyst to promote heightened understanding in your own local community. And to Norwegians and all those around the planet who have lost those who are most important to you, know that my love and thoughts are with you... for whatever that's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment